Saturday, May 7, 2022

~ The She Was Me ~

She'd got the call just as she was walking out the door for Sunday School. Her mother needed her.


"I've somehow got my walker stuck between the bedroom and the bathroom and I can't pull it free. I don't know what to do," her mother's voice sounded shaky.


"I'll be right there."


Her time was not her own. Ever since her mother had become sick two years earlier she decided that life is short, her mother would not always be with her, and that she should not only savor the moments but be there for her as well. Two years of being there were wearing thin. She glanced in her rearview mirror to note a good hair day. Wasted on being a caregiver to her mother. She sighed. When would she have a life again?


"There ya go, Mom." She said, freeing the walker and forcing a smile. Mom scuffed to the bathroom while her daughter made toast for breakfast.


"This is the best toast I've ever eaten," said her mom. She smiled, happy to please and no longer thinking of how inconveniencing this trip was for her. Glancing down at her watch, she realized Sunday School had already started. "Would you like another couple of slices?" She asked her mother.


"Oh boy, would I ever!"


She was convinced that it wasn't the toast that was filling her mother with satisfaction, but rather the love from a daughter who was willing to drop everything to be with her.


When breakfast was finished, the two talked, laughed, and reminisced.


"When you kids were younger, I'd always remind you to get your flower at church on this day. I figured with the seven of you, I'd have enough to plant a nice little flower garden out front."

Petunias. Always petunias.


Her mother apologized for taking her away from her own children on Mother's Day. She reminded her mother that there was no other place she'd rather be than with her mother.


Two months later, her mother was gone.



3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry. But not surprised by what you did, you always make the most caring choices!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the long run, I bet you never regretted the choice you made that day to spend it with your mom. Mother's Day loses a certain appeal when one has lost their mother. However, I do wish you a wonderful Happy Mother's Day, Bobbi!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Mother's Day Bobbi, the memories are precious-aren't they! Being there meant so much to your Mother! I treasure the days that I had with my Mama! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete