Monday, June 6, 2022

~Our Little Lamb~

 I wake in the morning wondering.  How long will it take?  How many mornings will I wake up with this empty feeling in the pit of my stomach?

Mornings went something like this.  Walking Gracie around the yard.  Holding her hind end up when she would need to potty.  Hugging her.  Telling her I love her so much, so very much.  Letting her know it was okay when she decided she did not want to do this anymore.  More mini walks around the front yard so she could smell different smells.  Guiding her over to my office on the other side of the garage so she could receive her fortune cookie.  More hugs.  More love.  Worrying over her lost state.  Watching her sleep and being comforted by her contentment.  

Afternoons we would plan a walk down by the tracks if weather permitted.  It couldn't be too hot - or even raining.  She'd love those walks.  They were more like sniff's towards the end since she didn't make it very far.  

Evenings:   She had graduated from Arby's roast beef to Roy Rogers roast beef.  Much more expensive and a bit out of the way - but so much better quality.  She refused to eat anything else then, aside from some of her other favorites like corn on the cob or even her dry prescription diet food.  Every day her daddy would make sure she had her favorite roast beef.  She always ate her 'medicine treat' in the morning before all the other treats her daddy would put out for her.  It's like she knew - this would keep her hips healthy so that she could continue to walk.  After dinner, she would shadow her daddy as he would go out back to water plants and check on things around the house.  When he'd lie on the bed talking to his mom, Gracie would putter up the ramp and settle onto the bed beside him.  It was daddy's time with our girl.  

I was her go-to for health-related issues, potty time, and guidance when her eyes and hearing became weak.  She could feel my love when I'd hold her face close to mine and tell her how much I loved her.  I just know she could feel my love.  

At night, she'd take a long nap while we watched tv, then wake to be taken outside for potty. Then inside for treats before bed.  If she would still be sleeping when we'd go to bed, daddy would scoop her up and put her onto her place in the bed, at my feet.  

She was more than a dog.  She was our 'together child'.  We loved her fiercely.  We miss her terribly.

This video says it all:  



8 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of your tribute to Gracie yet, I'm crying so hard right now. We had a special bond with Gracie, Samson and I. She lived such a long life, I hope she and Samson meet up at the Rainbow Bridge. They were both such special dogs. I am so sorry for your loss. I remember reading your book, when she first arrived, there was a white carpet, I seem to remember -- she was so adorable. Always such a lovely little dog. Samson loved her ears, he would send kisses now, many XXs for his Gracie. Sending much love to you, my friend and to you family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why does it say anonymous? It was from Inger, but you knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dogs have senses that we don't have, and can sense so much more. So she KNEW how loved she was! She felt it all the time. You were meant for each other. No one on the face of the earth could have taken better care of her or shown her as much love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gracie always knew how much she was loved. ♥♥♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were very loving and so compassionate in taking care of Gracie in her final days, Bobbi. She definitely knew she was loved.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know you miss sweet Gracie, I am happy that I got to know here thru your blog. Take it one day at a time, that's the advice my daughter gives after losing her precious Munson. Sending hugs and continued prayers your way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry ~ just heard of your loss of Gracie ~ lots of healing energy hugs to you and your family ~ so hard to lose our fur babies ~ Xo

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Bobbie and Bubbles
    I just saw your comment on my blog...I wanted to say hi and ask if you have a new blog. I'd love to see a photo of Bubbles.
    Happy New Year
    Cecilia mom of Angel Madi

    ReplyDelete