Saturday, January 26, 2013

ABOUT BRAS

While waiting to get into the movie theatre last week in Frederick, we wondered into the Soma Boutique.

Intimate apparel - underwear and bras.

Not since high school when Butch, our (female) gym teacher, insisted on us girls taking showers and then proceeded to watch us as we got out of the showers to make sure we were wet,  have I felt more violated.  Modest me!

Let me set the scene.

Gary:  We have 45 minutes till the movie starts.

Me: (Peering in the Soma window):  Ohh...  Nice underwear.  Let's go in here for a minute.

 **Notice, I call them underwear.  Not panties or intimate apparel.  Underwear.  Does this show that I am old or that I can throw a nickel and have it land in WV easy (thus I can pronounce and say things any old way I want)?**

I am greeted by an enthusiastic, bubbly, sales girl...  lets call her Debbie...  who encourages me to collect a mound of bras then follows me to the fitting room (after she measures me right smack dab in front of the huge store-front window to see what size bra I'd take).

Outside of the fitting room she is talking to me, calling me by name, and then asking me if she can take a look.

*Insert horrified face here*

Me:  Oh sure..

I very gingerly open the door just a crack.  Debbie barges in and begins to ogle my half naked top part, giving suggestions and lying about how great it looks on me.

This process is repeated four times and then I bolt from the fitting room, pay over a hundred bucks for some of the best bras I will ever own, and grab Gary from the bench where he sits smiling (I wonder why!).

I'm wondering how long these sales professionals go to school to learn how to turn a deal that easily.

*Insert bewildered & confused face here*


Oh, one last thing.  If you own a DOG or a CAT I encourage you to give them permission to stop Here at Gracie's Advice Column Blog  and ask her advice on anything at all.  Gracie has the winter blahs and she needs to feel needed... ;-)


12 comments:

  1. Wow...and I was going shopping next week for the same...
    I need to think this over, because I will never be that forgiven... for a lack of words. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fill me in...will Gracie be on this blog anymore, or will this be your blog and the other one hers? It IS really cute and her advice even works for my cats. But one thing...can you please take off comment moderation? It is so hard to figure it out and you have to keep asking for different words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the bras completely flew out of my mind after reading Gracie's blog!!! I think after the boutique, I would go somewhere and throw up! BUT maybe you have some really rockin' sexy and comfortable bras! Hey, can a bra be all three?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha... Ginny, it was more funny than anything when I think about it now. I just wish that I hadn't spent so much money on rockin', sexy, comfortable bras. LOL.

    Also, I did turn off the comment moderation on Gracie's blog. I didn't know it was on. Thanks!

    I don't know.. we'll see how this goes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went for a bra fitting and ended up buying one (1) of the $40 monstrosities just to get out of there! My DIL was the fitter and she didn't know jack about fitting anything. I kept it as a reminder, of what a too tight one feels like (tourniquet)


    PS: I haven't heard a thing yet - going out of my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still say underwear, too, and I always will! Had a fitting a couple of weeks ago and the woman was so casual that I was barely embarrassed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thankfully, I've never had a fitting...and I say underwear too. What an experience that was.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I have had a fitting and I didn't like it either:) AND my bras didn't even fit:) Perhaps I was trying to feel skinny and made them too tight, hahahahaha! Have a blessed day dear Bobbi, what movie did you see? HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This has never happened to me. I often think that being 6 ft tall intimidates people. I have had one bra fitting in my life and got the best advice ever from that. Sorry all this made you feel bad. And I say underwear too.
    Samson says he loves Gracie's advice column and just became a follower, well, I did. Now he wants to be in my picture, just like you and Gracie together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a bra fitting once years ago. It was a horrible experience and I'll never do it again. Now that you have your size, you are set until you shrink with old age and don't have to wear a bra anymore.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with you totally on this one, Bobbi. I'm quite modest, even though I seldom wear a bra. My "little bitties" are not for the eyes of whomever. "Excuse Me!".
    I hope those bras last FOREVEH, after laying down that kind of $$$

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bobbi, I know this was traumatic for you..... but!!!!! you sure made it sound awfully funny......

    I wonder what your face looked like, when you came flying out of that dressing room???? tee hee!!!!

    I also love Gracie's advice column, and will advise my Lily that she can count on Gracie when she has a "problem"!!!!

    Hugs,
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete