Thursday, November 11, 2021

Veterans Day - Remembering Dad


Pulling Dad's letters from an old tin,  I feel his loneliness as I read his letters home. 

(FYI, Jo was my mom)


Jan. 18, 1946
Friday

Dear Mom and Dad,

"Just a few lines to let you know I am well..."  

"I have been transferred again, this time on a ship..." 

"Have you seen Jo lately?"


July 15, 1948

"I got paid yesterday.  Boy I sure did need it.  I got forty four dollars....."


Tokyo:  Sept. 30

Dear Mom and Dad,

"Just a few lines to let you know I am well and hope you all are the same.."

"How's the garden getting along this year?"

"I got a letter from Jo the other day...."

"Don't forget to send me some pictures..."


Monday, Aug. 13

"We sure have been having good news lately about the war.  It looks to me like it's almost over..."

"I haven't gotten any mail from you in about a month. I guess I'll get it all at once..."

"I don't want to miss this chance to get home for Christmas..."

"Have you seen Jo lately? I wrote to her tonight. Tell her to answer and let me know if she gets it..." 

"Well this makes almost 2 1/2 years I have been in the Navy.  It don't seem that long. I am getting to like it better than I did before. I get to see a lot of places and things.."

Dad, the handsome sailor on the left.




Love, Bob EM 3R



Dad died when he was just 53 years of age, leaving with me many memories and a heartfelt gratitude to God for an earthly father who was quiet, loving, generous, compassionate, hard-working, and honest.

I was blessed with two brothers who also served in the military, Jimmy, Marines and Larry, Navy.     

God bless those who serve... who give of themselves...  to keep our country a safer place.  


  




11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother was a Marine in Viet Nam and had some pretty bad experience. still suffers from Agent orange and other war related health issues as well. He was proud to serve though, as was my dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another thoughtful post! My Father was in the Korean war, and I have a few of the letters he wrote to his parents during that time--I think it's too bad that letter writing is being replaced with phone calls and e-mails because there's just something special about having a handwritten letter from someone who is gone and meant so much to us; it really connects us to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very nice post, I imagine hard to write.
    Yes, Bless him and bless them all!

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is awesome you have his letters! I'm so sorry he died so young. You can read his "lonesomeness" in his letters. Even to this day they say "mail call" and to hear your name called is a highlight of a soldier's day.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gracie
    My moms dad served and he died at the same age. We honor those that serve for our freedoms.

    Hey Gracie, You have me for the gift exchange. Here is our e-mail and could you e-mail us so I can give you my address?? Thanks

    wags
    jazzi

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry your daddy died so young, but I am happy you still have his wonderful letters to keep his memory alive... Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  8. My father is a Vietnam Veteran. He has no effects. Never drank, smoked, did drugs.... I don't why some turn to those things. I guess it just depends on the person. I am proud of my Dad for his service. He volunteered, was not drafted. He's my hero.

    My brother is on his 80 day transitional leave from the Army. He has served 20 years and will retire December 31. He never saw war. I say Thank God because he's not like my Dad. He would've handled it very differently, I think.

    How awesome that you have these letters! What a treasure! He died so young.... so sorry to hear that! I know you miss him!

    ReplyDelete
  9. a lovely tribute on this special day of rememberance. my dad was in the navy too. he served during the korean conflict.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is neat that you have your dad's letters. I am sure he was lonely out there serving, but thankful for his and so many others service for protecting our country!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful blessing that you have these letters!!! Yes, I can feel the loneliness. He was SO handsome!

    ReplyDelete