GROWING OLD WITH GRACIE

My photo
Western Maryland, United States

Monday, May 20, 2013

Pondering God's Ways


Watching the coverage of the Oklahoma tornado devastation has brought back memories.

 June 2, 1998

An F-4 tornado swept through the sleepy town of Eckhart, Maryland just a mile from my home. 


My husband (at the time) and my three children and guinea pig were hunkered down in our cellar, praying.

 Sirens sounded. Lights went out.  Phone service stopped. 

 Darkness.  Loud freight train-like sound.


Fear.  

Then, relief.  


I will never forget my drive to work the next day.  Words do not come easy for the feeling that came over me as I swallowed hard trying to get rid of the lump 
 in my throat. 


 Trees were uprooted and houses pulled apart and strewn throughout the town.  There was an eerie presence.  One I've not felt again since that day.  

 The only word that would come close to describing what I felt that cool, quiet morning after - was Reverence.  

God had touched our land in an angry way.  

At that time in my life I was thinking 
(after almost 20 years of marriage) of divorce.    
I was being lured away from all that was right.  
And I wondered...  Was God speaking to me?  Were there others He was trying to reach as well?  
Is this how He gets our attention? 

Who can understand The One who created Heaven and Earth?  Who can know His plan?  His Will?  His displeasure with what we are doing with our lives?  

****

God's ways are not our ways...  so I will not even try to comprehend...  But one thing I do know... is that the innocent ones who lost their lives will be in Heaven.  

Life and death is unpredictable. 

Revelation 21:4  And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.


Times like these cause me to pause...
  
And look to our Creator with Reverence.  

  
Praying for Oklahoma!!






11 comments:

Laurie said...

oh my gosh what a sobering profound post, my heart aches for you, to have such horrific memories, take care my friend

Ginny said...

This is horrible. And are these photos you took from back then? I was just saying to Phil today how much more advanced, yet evil, can the world get before it all ends? And I have been reading in the paper that there are defiantly more and more tornadoes as time goes on...

Molly The Wally said...

We woke up to the news this morning. We are praying for all those in the path of the tornado.
Best wishes Molly

Lovable Lily said...

We too have been praying for all the people there. It is horrible news.

We had a tornado go through where we live in Florida. It missed our house by 10 houses. It was only an F1 but it sure was destructive! I just can't imagine being through anything worse.

Hugs,
Lily Belle

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

There is little we can control in life and weather is definitely one of those things we can do little about. Gods ways are mysterious. We can only trust and hope. Praying for all those affected by the terrible storms.

Theresa said...

Praying...

Parsley said...

So scary. We were well South of it but have found ourselves thinking...it could have been us...

Amber DaWeenie said...

May God bless all of us and watch over us.

TARYTERRE said...

The WHY of such questions is never answered with any certainty. All we can do is pray.

Gloria Hood said...

Awful memories! Love your words though!

Jenni said...

Oh I love that scripture, Bobbi!! and I, too, am praying for the people of Oklahoma... we have several friends and relatives who live there.... my Great Aunt and her family live in Midwest city Ok. Thank God they were spared....

But my heart breaks for those that were not...

Hugs,
Jenni